Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (AEMT) Education Program
Begins: May 18, 2023
Ends: Aug. 3, 2023
Begins: Aug. 5, 2023
Ends: Sept. 23, 2023
Opens: Jan. 27, 2023
Closes: Apr. 27, 2023
This three-phase program consists of 12 weeks of classroom training in the EMS Learning Resources Center (EMSLRC). The course is offered online, and skills laboratory sessions are held from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Thursdays.
Additionally, there is a minimum of 104 hours of hospital clinical rotations that start in the fifth week of the classroom phase, and a minimum of 96 hours of precepted field time after the online and skills lab training and completion of clinical skills.
This three-phase program consists of 12 weeks of classroom training in the EMS Learning Resources Center (EMSLRC). Classroom training is held from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Thursdays. Additionally, there is a minimum of 104 hours of hospital clinical rotations that start in the fifth week of the classroom phase, and a minimum of 96 hours of precepted field time after classroom training and completion of clinical skills.
Clinical and field shifts are scheduled outside of class time based on the student’s schedule. Internships are available at several approved sites within Iowa. Upon completion, students are eligible to sit for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians written and psychomotor exams for Advanced EMT national certification.
- Acquire course textbook and uniform prior to course start
- Submit completed online application.
- Submit evidence of high school graduation or its equivalent.
- Submit high school and any post high school transcripts (i.e. technical school, college).
- Submit a copy of current National Registry EMT certificate. All accepted students must have an Iowa EMT certification by the first day of class.
- Be physically capable of performing the duties of a paramedic and complete a health screening through University of Iowa Health Services or personal physician.
You may apply for admission into the AEMT Training Program by completing the online application. The application deadline is four weeks prior to the start of the course and a maximum of 12 students will be accepted on a first come-first served basis.
The tuition for the full-time AEMT Training Program is $2,100.00 which does not include the cost of books. All tuition must be paid in full two weeks prior to the first day of class and is subject to change.
- Upon successful completion of the course, student candidates will take the practical skills certification examination as written and sponsored by the National Registry of EMTs and endorsed by the State of Iowa.
- Successful completion of the program will allow the student candidate to take the National Registry of EMTs computerized written certification examination.
- Successful completion of both the National Registry of EMTs practical and computer-generated written examinations is then used to apply for certification in the candidate's home state.
The Paramedic Education Program offered by the EMS Learning Resources Center at UI Hospitals & Clinics has been approved for private student loans. You are not required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Please visit the website for the University of Iowa Office of Student Financial Aid for more information.
Short-term secured loans may be available through local lending institutions to assist qualified applicants. This course has been approved for veterans and military educational funds.
Need to Cancel?
Check out our EMSLRC course policies.