Our well-established weight loss surgery program can help you reach your goal of a healthy, enjoyable life. We incorporate expert services, ongoing support and a wealth of experience to offer the best outcomes in surgical weight-loss.
The UI Obesity Surgery Program is unique in its approach to the care of the morbidly obese patient. Our multi-disciplinary team approach helps our patients achieve lasting weight-loss that:
- Reduces life-threatening risk factors
- Improves self-esteem
- Enhances daily living
Bariatric Surgery Services
Our patients typically achieve results that exceed the national averages. We attribute these results to:
- The surgery staff includes some of the most qualified laparoscopic bariatric surgeons in the nation
- UI Hospitals and Clinics is one of the pioneering institutions to offer laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
- We continue as a pioneer using the laparoscopic adjustable gastric band technology in appropriate cases
- Our program is consistently recognized for excellence by several independent associations and organizations, including the renowned American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS), which renewed our accreditation status for their national Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence (BSCOE) Program until 2016
Is Bariatric Surgery for You?
The first step in finding out if you are a candidate for obesity surgery is to fill out the health and weight history questionnaire and mail, fax, or email the form back to our office (contact information is on the top of the form). A free bariatric surgery seminar is also available the third Tuesday of each month.
The general requirements for our candidates are that they
- are between the ages of 18 and 60 (with some exceptions),
- have a BMI score of 35+ and suffer from any obesity-related health issues, or
- have a BMI of 40.
Not every obese person qualifies for gastric bypass surgery. Patients must have severe obesity and/or have associated medical problems and meet specific qualifications.
Bariatric surgery could be a solution if you feel ready to commit to the following:
- a consistent exercise program
- long-term dietary changes that include vitamin and mineral supplements
- counseling and follow-up care
Contact our program to see if obesity surgery is an option for you.
These are just a few of the patients that have had success with the Bariatric Surgery Clinic. They have shared their Success Stories, which will hopefully inspire some people who are ready to change their life.
Support Services Specialist
- Chris Melichar