Frequently Asked Questions: Clinical Staff Office

How does practitioner get privileges at University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics?

Applications must be made through a clinical department.

How can a practitioner obtain a Federal DEA?

Call 1-800-882-9539. The DEA offers applications online. If the practitioner will only be practicing at a UI Hospitals & Clinics site, the fee should be exempt for the department and the practitioner. A department or division head may sign for this exemption.

Does the practitioner need to send a hospital privilege letter or malpractice certificate?

No. UI Hospitals & Clinics practitioners do not need to supply UI Hospitals & Clinics hospital privilege letters or copies of UI Hospitals & Clinics malpractice certificates, the CSO can obtain these in-house.

What is ongoing monitoring?

In addition to the monthly downloads of the Office of Inspector General to verify the lack of Medicare/Medicaid Sanctions, the CSO also checks the Iowa and Illinois Medical Boards to verify the lack of licensure sanctions. Interim Monitoring is conducted according to individual contract specifications.

Can a practitioner submit an application before all the attachments are available?

Yes, after completing the entire Iowa Statewide Universal Practitioner application, signing and dating, the application may be submitted along with a photo (2-inch x 3-inch .jpg) and the Cover-Checklist indicating which attachments will follow. For example, an Iowa Medical License has not been issued yet. In the license section of the application, indicate this item is pending, on the Cover-Checklist indicate that the copy will follow, and send it as soon as it is received. By sending the application and photo before a license is issued, the CSO can begin processing to avoid delay. Please be sure to submit pending or missing required attachments as soon as possible to avoid continued delay application processing.

If a practitioner has moonlighted at a number of hospitals, should all hospitals be listed?

Yes, any and all hospital privileges should be listed on the application. The hospital privilege section of the application can be copied if additional space is needed or additional pages can be found on the appications pages can be found on the application link on this website.

If the practitioner has already completed the application for another entity do they need to submit another one?

No, if the practitioner's information has previously been submitted to the CSO, call the UI Hospitals & Clinics department or the CSO directly at 1-319-384-9294. With the information in the database, the application can be preprinted and sent to the practitioner for renewal (review, updating, and signature).

If the practitioner will be getting married in the near future, which name is used?

Please indicate the current legal name at the time of the application completion, and enter in the "Other Names" section the new married name and/or other maiden name(s) and the effective and end date for each name.

Where can I get information about Iowa Medical Licensure or the Iowa Board of Medicine?

There is information available on the Iowa Board of Medicine online or you can call 1-515-281-6641 with further questions.

What other services does the CSO provide?

The CSO sends notifications to practitioners and their respective departments concerning renewal of licenses, federal and state DEA and CPR expirations, monitors renewals and obtains necessary primary source verifications retaining copies for the practitioner files located in the CSO. Services to outside entities can be customized to fit client needs.

What is an NPI?

National Provider Identifier - the NPI is part of the Administrative Simplification Provisions of HIPAA 1996. This number should eventually replace other practitioner numbers such as the UPIN, Medicare/Medicaid, and payor specific numbers. You can search for NPI numbers online.