UI Health Care is recognized as one of the best programs in the nation for eye care. Our compassionate staff and skilled specialists provide a comprehensive array of vision and eye health services. Services range from routine vision screenings and eye care to the diagnosis and treatment of complex and rare eye conditions. We also offer the convenience of on-site services for ordering contact lenses and prescription eyewear and solutions such as laser vision correction and refractive surgery.
In addition to our main clinics on the University of Iowa Health Care Campus, several of our eye care services are available for patients and families at Iowa River Landing. Located at the Coralville interchange on Interstate 80 (exit 242), UI Hospitals and Clinics - Iowa River Landing offers patients easy access, free parking, and a state-of-the-art building for delivering outstanding patient care. General eye exams are now available from 8 a.m. to noon on Saturdays at UI Health Care—Iowa River Landing. Enjoy the convenience of free parking and finding all of your follow-up needs under one roof.
Read more about UI Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences Referrals
General Eye Care
We provide a broad range of general eye care services from routine eye examinations to expert prescription and fitting of eye wear and contact lenses.
Eye care services are also available at UI Health Care - River Crossing in Riverside.
UI Healthcare eye specialists are ranked among the best in the world at diagnosing and treating eye diseases. Patients from around the world come to the UI Hospitals and Clinics and UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital to be treated by our staff.
- Cornea and External Eye Diseases
- Eye Pathology
- Inherited Eye Diseases
- Laser Vision Correction and Refractive Surgery
- Ocular Prosthetics Service
- Oculoplastics, Orbit, and Reconstructive Surgery
- Retina and Vitreous
- Strabismus (Misaligned Eyes)
- Uveitis (Eye Inflammation)
- Vision Rehabilitation
University of Iowa clinicians and researchers provide cutting-edge diagnosis and treatments of eye cancers to patients of all ages.
Our oculoplastic surgeons provide a full range of cosmetic and reconstructive eye services.
Why Choose Us?
Our world-renowned specialists provide Iowa's most comprehensive array of eye health services, ranging from routine eye care to cutting-edge diagnosis and treatment of complex eye conditions.
- Our clinical services for ophthalmology were ranked 8th in the nation by U.S. News & World Report in 2014.
- We created the first center for macular degeneration in the United States, providing patient care while also conducting research into more effective treatments and possible prevention of the disease.
- Our researchers discovered the first known gene to cause human open-angle glaucoma, as well as a number of other genes responsible for rare forms of retinal disease.
- We are a world leader in the research and treatment of inherited eye diseases affecting adults and children.
- UI is a leader in the treatment of retinoblastomas, ocular melanoma, and periocular skin cancers.
- We have the only neuro-ophthalmology service in Iowa.
- We performed 265 cornea transplants in a recent year.
- We offer a comprehensive low vision and vision rehabilitation service to help individuals maximize their vision and lead productive lives.