See Cancer Differently™
University of Iowa Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center is the only cancer center in Iowa designated as "comprehensive" by the National Cancer Institute and is ranked 34th by U.S. News & World Report (2016 rankings).
- The National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) awarded Holden a full three-year accreditation for its commitment to providing the highest quality of evaluation and management of patients diagnosed with breast disease (2016).
- Holden received a national Outstanding Achievement Award from the Program Review Subcommittee of the Commission on Cancer (COC) for providing superior care to patients and families (2008).
- American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer granted approval to the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center under a program designed to ensure quality cancer care for patients. This is a three-year accreditation (2013).
- We were the first hospital in Iowa, and among the first medical centers nationwide, to participate in a large-scale preventive trial for prostate cancer.
- We were the first hospital in the United States to offer a clinical trial of an adenovirus-prostate-specific antigen vaccine for prostate cancer patients (2000-present).
- We were the first hospital in Iowa to use robotic surgery for radical prostatectomy procedures, in which a patient's cancerous prostate is removed.
- We were the first hospital in Iowa to use robotic surgery for pyeloplasty procedures for treating patients with obstructed kidneys.
- Our 4-D radiation therapy system increases odds of cancer survival.
- 45,000 infusion therapy visits for cancer patients from July 2014 to June 2015.
- 129,992 visits to UI Health Care with a primary diagnosis of cancer from July 2014 to June 2015.
- 19,792 radiation oncology treatments delivered from July 2014 to June 2015.
Our Cancer Teams (M.O.G.s)
Cancer patients at the University of Iowa Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center (https://uihc.org/medical-services/holden-comprehensive-cancer-center) benefit from teams made up of cancer specialists and researchers who discuss the best treatment options for every patient, all while using the latest research findings. Mohammed Milhem, MBBS, medical oncologist, explains.
About Our New Cancer Clinic
A new cancer clinic and infusion suite at UI Hospitals and Clinics brings Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center physicians and researchers together and creates a more comfortable and efficient atmosphere for patients.
Physicians Listed Among America's Best Doctors
- Zuhair Ballas, MD
- Daniel Berg, MD
- Ann Broderick, MD
- Joseph Buckwalkter IV, MD (also UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital)
- John Buatti, MD
- Thomas Carter, MD, PhD
- Kristi Chang, MD
- Gerald Clamon, MD
- Gerry Funk, MD
- Bruce Gantz, MD (also UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital)
- Michael Graham, MD
- Marta Hemmingson-VanBeek, MD
- Henry Hoffman, MD
- Hisakazu Hoshi, MD
- James R. Howe, MD
- Steven Lentz, MD
- Brian Link, MD
- Mohammed Milhem, MBBS
- Jose Morcuende, MD, PhD
- Nicole Nisly, MD
- Michael O'Donnell, MD
- M O’Dorisio, MD, PhD
- Tom O’Dorisio, MD
- Margarida Silverman, MD
- Timothy Thomsen, MD
- Ronald Weigel, MD, PhD
- George Weiner, MD