What is 1% Fluorouracil (5-FU) (Fluoroplex™)?
1 % 5-FU cream is used on the skin to treat pre-cancerous and cancerous skin growths. It is a topical chemotherapy cream. It blocks the growth of fast-growing abnormal skin cells where it is applied.
This is an “off label use” for this medicine. An FDA-approved drug used for an unapproved use is called an “off-label” use to treat your disease or condition.
What is Imiquimod (Aldara™) cream?
Aldara™ is an immune modulator. It helps your body to fight the virus that can cause abnormal cells. It is used to treat genital warts. This medicine is also an “off-label” use.
How are the creams used vaginally?
- Wash your hands.
- Cover the vulvar skin with either white petrolatum (Vaseline®) or zinc oxide ointment.
- Insert the cream with a vaginal applicator as ordered.
- Wash your hands after using the cream.
In the morning:
- Shower or bathe in warm water to remove any cream.
- Cover the vulvar skin with white petrolatum (Vaseline®) ointment.
How often should I use the medicine?
Your provider will give you instructions to follow in this format:
At bedtime ___ days of the week for ___ weeks.
- Use the cream during your period
- Use tanning beds
- Limit exposure so you do not get a burn from the cream.
- Have intercourse for 2 days after using the cream
- Use the medicine if you are pregnant.
- Use an effective birth control while using this medicine.
Call your providers office if you:
- Have pain or burning in the vulvar or vaginal area
- Have pain or burning with urination
- Are not able to urinate
- Have blisters or sores in the vulvar or vaginal area
You must keep your follow-up visits to be sure the cream is treating your lesions.