Below are suggestions from parents of children in hip spica casts:
- Use adult incontinence pads in the genital area. This also works for the abdomen if your child sweats. Good brand names are:
- Dignity Pads®
- Super Tranquility Pads®
- Poise Pads by Depend®
- After wiping and drying buttocks, put a thin layer of Vaseline® or diaper rash ointment on child's bottom. This coats skin to prevent diaper rash.
Mobility and travel:
- Use a wagon with removable sides to move your child around the house. Prop them with pillows. Restrain them well.
- Travel with extra pillows to help position in restaurants and other places.
- Position your child in a recliner.
- Bean bag chairs are comfortable and work well for propping children for activities.
- Your child’s care team can help you get a reclining wheelchair if needed.
Eating and drinking:
- Do not give your child fruit juices or foods that cause diarrhea.
- Do not start new foods.
- Give your child less fluids in evenings before bedtime.
Your care team can share other parents' phone numbers. You can talk with a parent who has cared for a child in a hip spica cast. Remember, be patient, you will get through this.