Coronavirus (COVID-19) exercise recommendations
Access this content in another language:
As we work together through your recovery from Coronavirus, we encourage you stay active and start an exercise routine. You may be asking why we recommend exercise at a time like this?
Here are a few key reasons:
- It helps your lungs recovery during and after illness
- It helps your arms and legs stay strong
- Prevents blood clots
- Improves your mental health
We want to give you resources you need to be safe and successful with your exercise program. We always recommend you start exercising at a slow pace, so you do not feel more fatigue or shortness of breath. Use your Pulse Oximeter (in your kit) to measure your oxygen levels with exercise.
- Exercise at an intensity you feel is “fairly light” to “somewhat hard”
- Always keep your pulse oximeter 90% or higher during exercise
Start gentle exercise if you:
- Do not have a fever for 2 days
- Do not have chest pain or feel severely short of breath while walking inside your house.
- Do not have leg swelling
Do not exercise if you have:
- A fever above 102.2° Fahrenheit (39° Celsius) in the past 2 days
- Severe shortness of breath or pulse oximetry below 92% at rest
- A breathing rate above 24 breaths per minute
- A heart rate above 105 beats per minute
- A systolic blood pressure (top number) 30 points below your “normal”
- Chest pain or palpitations (feeling of rapid, strong or irregular heartbeat)
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Recent falls
- Not eating or drinking for past 12 hours
Description of your exercise program:
Level 1 Exercises:
Do these if you feel very weak and must lie down most of the day.
Level 2 Exercises:
Do these if you can do level 1 exercises with ease and sit up for longer periods of time.
Level 3 Exercises:
Do these if you can do level 2 exercises with ease and safely stand/walk around your house.
Let’s get started!
- Start and end each exercise session with 1 minute of slow, deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth.
- Deep breathing may cause you to cough. That is okay.
- Do the exercises in the order they are listed. Level 1 is easiest. Level 3 is most difficult.
- Try to exercise 2 to 3 times a day.
Review complete list of exercises
Revoir la liste complète des exercices