What is this test?
It is a scan to look for suspected prostate cancer recurrence based on rising blood PSA levels after treatment.
If you make any changes to your insurance before your appointment please call Registration at 1-866-309-0832. This will help lessen delays and the need to reschedule your test, as many radiology services need a pre-authorization.
Take Elevator I to Lower Level. The PET Imaging Center is across the hall from the elevator.
You may not be able to have the test or it may need to be rescheduled if you cannot do the prep listed below.
Call the PET Center at 1-319-356-4100 and ask to talk with a nurse at least one day before your test if you cannot keep your appointment or have questions. The medicine you are given for this test is very expensive and made out of state. The hospital is still charged for the medicine if you do not show up or cancel last minute.
Getting ready for your test
- Do not wear jewelry.
- Do not wear clothing with metal.
Before your test, tell your doctor or nurse if:
- You have a fear of closed-in places or if you are very nervous. We can give you medicine to help you relax. You will need a person with you to drive you home if you take the medicine.
- Do not exercise for at least 24 hours before your test.
- Do not eat or drink for at least four hours before the test.
- You may take your medications with a few sips of water.
Take your normal medications with water before your test.
What to expect
- The test will take 35 to 45 minutes. You may be at the PET Center for two hours.
- During the test, we will give you a small amount of radioactive tracer into your vein through an intravenous catheter (IV).
- You will be scanned by the camera right after the injection.
- After the test you may:
- Eat and drink as normal
- Do your normal activity