It is a procedure done in the clinic. It is done to take a small piece of uterus lining (endometrium). The tissue is sent to the lab to see if it is normal.
it is most often done to diagnose the cause of abnormal uterine bleeding. This can be:
- Heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding
- Bleeding between periods
- Bleeding after menopause
It also may be done after a miscarraige or as part of an infertility work-up.
1. A speculum is put into the vagina.
2. The vagina and opening of the uterus (cervix) are cleaned with a soapy solution. This lowers your risk of infection.
3. A small tube is put into the uterus. Then, a small sample of the lining is taken using suction.
The biopsy takes less than 1 minute. Sometimes more will be done if the doctor cannot get the tissue.
- The level of discomfort is different for each person. Most people have mild to moderate cramping. Some people have severe cramping during the procedure. The cramping will lessen soon after the biopsy is done.
- You can get pain medicine if needed. Talk with your provider before the procedure.
- You may have dull cramping in your lower abdomen for a short time.
- You may have light bleeding for several hours to days. This is normal.
For 2 days, do not:
- Use tampons
- Have sex
- Put anything into your vagina
This is to prevent infections.
Call the Obstetrics Gynecology Clinic at 319-356-2294 if you have:
- Prolonged or heavy bleeding
- Such as soaking a maxi pad in 1 hour or less
- Temperature over 100.0 F
- Foul-smelling vaginal discharge
- Severe abdominal pain
If you are having periods, you next period may be earlier or later than usual.
- The results of your biopsy will be ready in about 2 weeks.
- Your provider will contact you by mail or telephone with the results.
- You will also be given a return appointment for further care, if needed.
- The Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinic at 319-356-2294 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Family Medicine Clinic at 319-384-7222
- Iowa River Landing East Family Medicine Clinic at 319-467-2000
- Muscatine Family Medicine Clinic at 563-263-0339
- Scott Boulevard Family Medicine Clinic at 319-467-6789
- River Crossing Family Medicine Clinic at 319-467-8355
- For urgent questions or concerns
- Call the Hospital Operator at 319-356-1616 on nights, weekends, and holidays and ask to speak to the gynecology resident on call
- Toll-free at 800-777-8442, 24 hours a day and ask to speak to the gynecology resident on call.
- You may be asked some questions when using the toll-free number.
Send a MyChart message for non-urgent questions or concerns.