The University of Iowa Medical Assistant Hospital-Based Training Program is designed to prepare you for a career as a medical assistant (MA) through interactive laboratory time, observational experiences, and clinical hours at University of Iowa Health Care Community Clinics locations.
Upon completion, you will be eligible to take the National Health Career Association’s certificate exam to become a certified clinical medical assistant (CCMA) and start an exciting new career as a medical assistant with University of Iowa Health Care.
Upon successful completion of the MA training program at Iowa, you will:
- Demonstrate foundational clinical practice skills
- Communicate effectively—verbally, nonverbally, and in writing
- Perform medical business practices
- Provide patient care in accordance with regulations, policies, laws, and patient rights
- Demonstrate safe, effective, team-based care adhering to quality and safety measures
For more information on the Medical Assistant Training Program, please contact:
Instructional Service Specialist
The program consists of four 8-week sessions, followed by a 160-hour practicum where you will use all the cognitive, psychomotor, and affective skills learned in your course work. Most classes will be provided in a hybrid format to take advantage of the best features of both online and more traditional forms of learning. The face-to-face component will be held in the evening, and the online component will allow you to work on course activities from any location you choose. Approximate in-class time is eight hours per week. Please note, students will be enrolled in the program through University of Iowa Health Care as non-degree seeking students.
Our specialized team-based care and documentation instruction will provide you with insight and skills to help create a more patient-centered environment, allowing patients to have access to all members of the care team, not just the primary care providers. The team-based care model increases operational efficiencies, reduces costs, and can improve patient and health care worker satisfaction.
Tentative Program Costs
- Non-refundable seat fee $300 Due in July 2024 (date subject to change)
- Program fee: $7500 (including non-refundable seat fee)
- Partial fee (50%) due at 60 days. Remaining balance (50%) due at 30 days.
- Scholarships not guaranteed.
- Tuition assistance is not available at this time.
- Program fees must be paid at noted timelines and are subject to change.
- Possess a high school diploma or the equivalent
- Pass a criminal background check
- Comply with UI Health Care Employee Health Screening Requirements
- Be available on-site for courses and experiential hours in the Iowa City Area
- Legally authorized to work in the United States
- Visa Sponsorship is unavailable for this program
Applications for 2023-2024 currently closed, Applications will reopen March 2024.
- March 2024: Applications re-open.
- June 2024: Applications will close.
- July 2024: Non-refundable seat fee of $300 due (date subject to change)
- September 2024: Classes begin.
Currently closed. Reopens March 2024.
- Statement of interest (250 – 350 words) that addresses the following:
- How did you come to the decision to become a medical assistant?
- What are your short- and long-term professional goals as a medical assistant?
- How will your prior education and experience assist you in achieving your academic and professional goals as a medical assistant?
- Copy of high school diploma or equivalent
- Two references, with their contact information included, from previous work and/or academic experiences.
Let us know you are interested
Ready to join Iowa’s No. 1 hospital? Submit your information below and we will reach out to you soon to provide additional information and answer your questions.