Getting to the hospital on football game days
We’re here to help you access the hospital on game days. Tell the officer at security checkpoints that you need to get to the hospital.
Recommended routes to the hospital during game days
See map below or download flyer with map.
Best option: Come down Hawkins Drive from the north/Coralville. This will give you access to Parking Ramps 1 and 2 and get you to the Main Entrance. Emergency patients may also enter here.
To get to the Emergency Department: Come up Grand Ave. from the east and take a right at the roundabout. Park in the small lot just outside the Emergency Department.
Labor and delivery patients: Come up Hawkins Dr. and turn left at the stoplight to enter the hospital campus. Follow the posted signage to enter Parking Ramp 2. Use the UI Stead Family Children's Hospital main entrance and inform staff that you need assistance.
In an emergency
Emergency vehicles with individuals in a medical emergency (both ambulances and individual cars) will be let through the security checkpoints to get to the hospital. Let them know you are having an emergency or need to get to the hospital. However, Melrose Ave. should still be avoided as traffic may be in gridlock.
Non-emergency traffic should park in Parking Ramps 1 or 2. These are reserved for patients and hospital visitors (no football fans).
- Hawkins Drive and For The Kids Way will be closed to non-emergency traffic from about 2 hours before kickoff until 2 hours after the game ends.
- Melrose Ave. will be closed to non-emergency traffic 1 hour before kickoff and approximately 2 hours after the game ends.
- It’s worth repeating: Avoid Melrose Ave. especially during the hours leading up to the game.
- If possible, come to the hospital after the game starts.
- After the game, traffic on Hawkins Drive is northbound only, and Melrose Ave. is westbound only. Avoid coming in on those roads within an hour after the end of the game.
- Visitors should enter the hospital through the Main Entrance, as all other entrances will be locked for safety. However, the Emergency Department entrance will be staffed by security who will allow you to enter if needed.
- For anyone who comes to the hospital’s Main Entrance needing to get to the Emergency Department, an escort will be provided (if the patient can safely be moved), or if needed, emergency personnel will be immediately called to the Main Entrance.
Are you a UI Health Care faculty, staff member, or volunteer working on a game-day? Visit the Parking and Transportation website for your parking information.
For a full hospital map and to learn more about parking, visit uihc.org/parking-and-map.
Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.:
After 5 p.m. and on weekends:
- UI Parking and Transportation: 1-319-335-8312
2022 Saturday home game days
Sept. 17: Iowa vs. Nevada (6:30 p.m.)
Oct. 1: Iowa vs. Michigan (TBD)
Oct. 29: Iowa vs. Northwestern (2 p.m.)
Nov. 12: Iowa vs. Wisconsin (TBD)
Nov. 25: Iowa vs. Nebraska (3 p.m.)
The full football game day schedule can be found at hawkeyesports.com.