Procurement Services coordinates the purchase of supplies, equipment and professional services to assure cost-efficiency as University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics provides the highest quality, state-of-the-art care environment.
Vendors interested in working with UI Hospitals & Clinics coordinate all of their bidding, negotiation, sales, and supply activities through Procurement Services.
UI Hospitals & Clinics participates in group purchasing efforts to achieve optimum pricing and delivery of goods and services.
The University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics Department of Procurement Services shall serve its customer groups and hospital administration with two defining goals around which, all projects and efforts shall focus:
- Enhancing and improving the patient experience while at the same time, increasing the UI Hospitals & Clinics operating margin. Whether through "hard savings," "soft savings," or revenue enhancement and creation, we will always define our success by our ability to increase the operating margin.
- Through increases in UI Hospitals & Clinics operating margins, we hope to assist in the increase of capital reserves. Increases in these reserves will enable UI Hospitals & Clinics to continue the cycle of improvement and enhancement of the patient experience.
Purpose and Mission
Develop a core procurement team to change the "buying culture" and facilitate:
- Enhancement of the patient experience by providing the highest quality, state-of-the-art health care environment in the most cost-efficient manner.
- Creation of an innovative, incremental, clinically-specific approachto develop structures and parallel processes for procurement, knowledgemanagement, supply chain management, and revenue enhancement services.
- Consolidation and coordination of all procurement activities relatedto supplies, equipment, and professional services to maximize the value received by University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics.
Key to re-engineering the purchasing process is the formation of a:
University of Iowa/UI Hospitals & Clinics Strategic Procurement Partnership
Nine Guiding Principles will form the basis of this partnership:
- The University of Iowa Purchasing Department and UI Hospitals & Clinics Purchasing Services Department have collaborated to form a Strategic Procurement Partnership, which is fostered through the use of shared resources, shared contracts and group purchasing efforts to achieve synergy in the procurement process.
- The procurement and supply chain management functions for UI Hospitals & Clinics are centralized in a single hospital department focused on enhancing patient care and optimizing the use of institutional resources.
- All products and services are obtained through Novation, UHC, or hospital/university contracts when possible and in our best interest.
- The procurement and distribution processes ensure the required items are available at the point-of-care when they are needed.
- The purchasing function is supported by a state-of-the-art purchasing and inventory control information system, which provides immediate access to data related to utilization and pricing to support high quality clinical and business decisions.
- Automation of the procurement cycle from order to payment is maximized through the use of electronic interfaces such as Marketplace@Novation.
- The use of electronic technologies (Omnicell, barcoding, etc.) for the acquisition of commodity items is maximized so that the need for human intervention is minimized.
- Interactions between hospital staff and vendors are appropriate and support the mission of the organization.
- Understand "total cost" as a balance of: activity, product price, and space, striving to have the right item available at the right time, for the right price.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Vendor & Service Provider FAQs - UI Health Care Compliance w/CMS COVID-19 Rule
- Gatefeed CMS Compliance
- eSupplier CMS Compliance
- Frequently Asked Questions RepTrax 2011
- Vendor Map
Policy and Guidelines
- Consignment Policy
- Smoke Free
- University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics Vendor Policy
- Vendor/Contractor Forms
- Vendor Handbook
- Vendor Rebate Checks
- Medical Device Reporting
- Statement of Vendor
- Clinical Care