Date or Time
Please join us for Stepping On, a seven-week workshop series to learn important exercises and strategies to help prevent falls.
Building Confidence and Reducing Falls
What is Stepping On?
Stepping On is a program that has been researched and proven to reduce falls in older people.
It consists of a workshop that meets for two hours a week for seven weeks. Workshops are led by two trained Stepping On professionals who partner to provide participants with a quality adult learning environment. In addition, local guest experts provide information on exercise, vision, safety, and medications.
Fall prevention topics include:
- Simple and fun balance and strength training
- The role vision plays in keeping your balance
- How medications can contribute to falls
- Ways to keep from falling when out in your community
- What to look for in safe footwear
- How to eliminate falls hazards from your home
Why should I be concerned about falling?
Falling is very common; it can result in injury and shake your confidence. The threat of falling can be a barrier to safely doing all the things you want to do at home and in the community. That’s why preventing falls is critical to maintaining independence.
Fall injury statistics
- More than one-third of people age 65 or older fall each year
- Falls are the leading cause of hospitalizations due to injury among older adults
- 35 percent of people who fall become less active
- 40 percent of people who enter a nursing home had a fall in the prior 30 days
What Stepping On workshop participants had to say:
“When I’m walking I still think, ‘Lift your feet, walk heel-to-toe’. I have stopped falling outside! It has made me more aware of the way I walk.”
“Not only did we learn some things about preventing falls, but we had a good time doing it. It was really fun.”
Is this fall and injury prevention workshop for you?
Stepping On is designed specifically for anyone who:
- Is 65 or older
- Has had a fall in the past year or is fearful of falling
- Lives at home
- Does not have dementia
How do I register?
Next class begins in 2024. More information to come.
Stepping On is a seven-week, two hours per week, interdisciplinary workshop that covers fall prevention topics such as home safety, vision care, medications, safe footwear, community safety, and exercise. The exercises are aimed at increasing strength and balance. Stepping On has been shown to decrease falls by 31% in older adults.