If you make any changes to your insurance before your appointment please call Registration at 1-866-309-0832. This will help lessen delays and the need to reschedule your test, as many radiology services need pre-authorization.
Your MRI will be at UI Sports Medicine.
Getting ready for your test
Before your test, tell your doctor or nurse if you are:
- Pregnant or think you may be pregnant.
- Allergic to contrast dye or iodine. Be sure to tell your doctor about these allergies before the day of your test. They may have you take medicine the night before and day of your test.
- Afraid or anxious in enclosed spaces. You may need medicine to help you relax during the test. This must be arranged before your test. If you are given medicine to help you relax, you will be given special diet instructions and will need someone to drive you home.
Take all of your medicines as prescribed.
If you are unable to do the prep listed below, you may not be able to have the test or it may need to be rescheduled.
What to expect
- The test will take about one hour.
- You will need to remove jewelry, hairpins, watches, glasses, hearing aids, nonpermanent dentures, and wigs (if they have metal) before your test. You must also empty your pockets.
- You will be given a locker to use for your things during the test.
- The test is painless.
- You will have to lie very still and flat on your back for one hour.
- The can be noisy. We will give your earplugs or earphones.
After the test
- You will be able to go home.
- Your results will be sent to the doctor who ordered your MRI.