What is this test?
It is a scan done to find and evaluate granulomas in the heart. A granuloma is a small area of inflammation in tissue.
If you make any changes to your insurance before your appointment please call Registration at 1-866-309-0832. This will help lessen delays and the need to reschedule your test, as many radiology services need pre-authorization.
If you cannot do the prep listed below, you may not be able to have the test, or it may need to be rescheduled.
Call the PET Center at 1-319-356-4100 and ask to talk with a nurse if you cannot keep your appointment or have questions.
Getting ready for your test
- You will have your blood sugar checked when you get to the PET Center. If your blood sugar is above 200, the test will be rescheduled.
- Do not wear jewelry.
- Do not wear clothing with metal.
Before your test, tell your doctor or nurse if:
- You are pregnant, think you may be pregnant, or you are breastfeeding.
- You have diabetes. Your diabetes medicine may need to be changed before the test.
- You have a fear of closed-in places or if you are very nervous.
48 hours before your test,
Eat and drink only:
- Plain* meat (pork, chicken, or fish) without breading, 3-5 bacon strips
- Plain* eggs
Plain means NO sauces, dressings, or condiments
- Real butter, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper are acceptable
- Water, plain black coffee, or plain (unflavored) tea
Do NOT eat or drink any:
- Vegetables, beans, nuts, fruits, bread, grains, pasta, candy, gum, lozenges, sugar, or baked goods
- Processed foods or fast foods
- Dairy, except butter
- Sodas, alcoholic beverages, or juices
Do not eat for 12 hours before the test. You may drink water, plain black coffee (no sweetener or creamers added)
- If you get food through a tube, stop the tube feeding 6 hours before the test.
- If you get nourishment through a vein in your arm, such as total parenteral nutrition (TPN), stop the infusion 6 hours before the test.
If you have any other test today where you are told not to eat or drink for a longer amount of time, follow those instructions.
- Take your normal medicines with water before your test.
- Talk to a nurse in the PET Center if you take medicine for your diabetes.
What to expect
You may be at the PET Center for two to three hours.
- You will have a blood perfusion scan before your test.
- During the test, we will put a small amount of radioactive tracer into your vein through an intravenous (IV) catheter.
- You will wait 60 minutes in a room before being scanned by the camera. The test will take 20 to 25 minutes.
After the test you may:
- Eat your normal diet
- Do your normal activity