Stem Cell Transplant and Cellular Therapy Program Financial Services

When you are referred to our transplant program, we will connect you with a Transplant Financial Counselor (TFC). This individual will verify your insurance benefits for transplant services, review those benefits with you, and provide you with information on resources for financial assistance if needed. We also have a program social worker who can help with financial assistance information. If you are a “self-pay” patient, the TFC will work with you on securing a self-pay contract for services received from our Stem Cell Transplant and Cellular Therapy Program.

If You Have Insurance:

The TFC will first contact your insurance company to ensure you have coverage for evaluation testing and the initial consult. With many insurance companies, the TFC will need to set up a “transplant case” for you, and request preapproval for a transplant evaluation. Once your evaluation is completed, and if transplant is recommended, the TFC will work with your insurance company to secure preapproval for the transplant(s).

Please keep in mind that it is important that you communicate and work closely with your insurance company to understand your specific benefit plan. You will be responsible for any of your transplant and medical care costs not covered by your insurance company.

If You Are Self-Pay:

The TFC will contact you, and forward you a contract with the prepayment amounts we will be requesting for transplant services. Payment will be due on the first day of your evaluation. The TFC will meet with you on this day to sign the contract, and to process your prepayment.

Disability Information

Disability payments from the Social Security Administration can be a means to help with the costs of a bone marrow or stem cell transplant, and any time you may need to take time off from work.

There are two types of government disability benefits:

  1. SSDI (Social Security Disability Income): This is a monthly income you may receive if Social Security records show that you have worked long enough and the Disability Bureau agrees that you are disabled.
  2. SSI (Supplemental Security Income): This is a monthly income you may receive if you have low or no income and the Disability Bureau agrees that you are disabled.

For more information about Social Security disability benefits, visit the website or go to your nearest Social Security office for an application and further information.

If you are employed, you may have “private” disability insurance for either short-term or long-term periods of disability. If you need information about that type of disability insurance, contact your employer’s Human Resources Department.

PDF iconLearn more about financial assistance resources

Contact the Financial Coordinator:

Kathy Moser