Posterior Spinal Fusion Day 1: After Surgery
Apr 11, 2023
- A blood sample will be drawn to check your blood counts.
- Nurses will teach you to cough and deep breathe. You will use a breathing device called an incentive spirometer. This helps prevent infection in your lungs.
- You need to do leg and ankle exercises each hour while you are awake. This helps the blood circulation in your legs.
Eating and Drinking
- You can drink clear liquids when your stomach wakes up.
- You may want chapstick on your lips.
- Chew gum 5 times a day for 20 minutes.
- You slowly get less IV pain medicine. You will take pill or liquid pain medicine if you can drink.
- You will get IV antibiotics.
- If you have low red blood cells, you may need a blood transfusion.
- You will get out of bed to a chair and walk 3 times. A Physical Therapist will be there to help you the first time.
- A Child Life Specialist will meet with you. They help find activities you can enjoy while in the hospital.
Tubes and bandages
You will have:
- Hemovac drain in your back.
- Catheter in your bladder.
- this is taken out when you start walking.
- IVs from surgery.
- Bandage on your back.