Current Projects and Initiatives
- Participate as the experts in patient– and family-centered care by:
- Leading lectures, presentations and discussions with medical students training at the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine
- Developing and recommending patient- and family-centered tips for University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital faculty and staff
- Participating in hospital "HUSH" campaign (creating a culture of quiet) by creating sleep kits for use by hospitalized pediatric patients and families
- Offer feedback to the UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital whiteboard campaign to improve communication with kids and families
- Advise UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital leaders on technology, hospital environment, facility, and library issues
- Serve as UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital ambassadors at various community and university events
- Conducted "Thank you" campaign to recognize excellent caregivers and departments caring for kids at UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital
Since 1998, YAC members have contributed to establishing a culture of patient– and family-centered heath care at UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital in the following ways:
- Selected comfy and fun hospital pajamas that fit kids!
- Helped Inspire the UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital a la carte menu and room service program that now benefits all patients—adults and children alike
- Developed UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital mascot – Perky, cousin of UI mascot Herky
- Successfully advocated for an improved toilet tissue product that benefits all UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital and UI Hospitals & Clinics patients.
- Established suggestion box program