University of Iowa Health Care is on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic, answering the call to protect the health and safety of all Iowans and joining the worldwide fight to stop the spread of the virus.
We are Iowa’s only comprehensive academic medical center, and we’re deploying the full force of our world-class clinical, scientific, and human resources as only we can.
At UI Hospitals & Clinics, home to the most comprehensive physician group in the state, we’ve marshalled our talent and technologies to be ready to provide care for all Iowans who depend on us:
- We test for COVID-19 in-house to deliver faster results to our patients and to lessen the burden of testing on our state’s public health departments.
- We’ve developed a virtual care approach with a home monitoring kit for our patients diagnosed with COVID-19, providing them with the tools and regular telehealth visits they need to receive care while they remain in self-isolation
- We’re conducting telehealth video visits to minimize traffic into our facilities and to limit the potential for the virus to spread.
- We continue to respond with compassion and urgency to the needs of every patient who comes to us for care.
In the UI Carver College of Medicine, our medical faculty and researchers are also doing their part:
- Our team of epidemiologists, respected around the world for its work in infection control, guides us as we strive to keep our facilities and our communities safe.
- Our researchers are already actively connecting with colleagues at other major research institutions, joining the international clinical and laboratory research studies that will produce the therapies to treat COVID-19 patients and prevent the spread of the disease.
- A mouse model developed by a UI researcher who is one of the world’s leading experts on coronaviruses is being bred by the Jackson Laboratory to allow scientists all over the world to test potential therapies for COVID-19.
People from all across our state rely on our expert care. Our doctors, nurses, technicians, and staff stand ready and committed to deliver our unsurpassed primary and specialty care to every Iowan who needs it for the duration of the pandemic.