Application Process, Criteria, and Aid for the Nurse-Midwifery Education Program
- Current license as a registered nurse
- BA or BS degree, any major
- College-level course in Physical Assessment with a clinical component within the last five years
- An undergraduate course in statistics
Transcripts should be sent directly to:
c/o Nurse-Midwifery Education Program
200 Hawkins Drive
Iowa City, Iowa, 52242
One year of full-time maternal-child health nursing experience is strongly recommended. *
Otherwise, qualified new graduates will be considered.
* Candidates who do not have labor and delivery experience but who are otherwise qualified must complete either a childbirth education course or doula training.
Many students have also found it useful to complete a basic and/or intermediate fetal monitoring course, spend time observing a midwife in practice, and shadow a midwife or nurse in the labor and delivery setting.
Our program does not current accept transfer credits.
- Completed application
- Three professional references
- Personal essay
- Current CPR certification (must be maintained throughout the program)
- $50.00 application fee
- Application window will open December 15, 2023
- Completed applications are due by February 23, 2024
- Applications received after February 24 may be considered on a space-available basis
- A personal interview is a required component of the application process
- The program starts in September
The cost of the Nurse-Midwifery Educational Program at UI Hospitals & Clinics is $10,000 per semester.
Information on tuition for the master’s courses through Thomas Jefferson University can be found here: https://www.jefferson.edu/tuition-and-financial-aid.html.
Please note, tuition costs are subject to change without prior notice.
All tuition is to be prepaid for each semester, two weeks prior to the beginning of each semester. Late tuitions payments will incur a charge. Students are expected to meet all additional financial obligations prior to exiting from the Nurse-Midwifery Education Program. Cost of the course modules is included in the tuition. Tuition refunds for program withdrawal are at the discretion of the Program Director and will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3||Semester 4||Semester 5||Total|
|UIHC Tuition||$10, 000||$10, 000||$10, 000||$10, 000||$10, 000||$50, 000|
|Books & Supplies||$1,000||$1,000||$1,000||$1,000||$1,000||$5,000|
|Room & Board||$6,000||$6,000||$4,500||$6,000||$6,000||$28,500|
|*Tuition and fees are subject to change without notice.
** TJU = Thomas Jefferson University, tuition and fees are subject to change without notice.
Students who are enrolled in the certificate program only can apply for personal loans with the bank or credit union of their choice.
For students enrolled at Thomas Jefferson University for the master’s degree completion will be able to apply for federal financial aid for semesters 2-5. The first semester is ineligible for federal financial aid due to classes starting the second semester.
- Iowanurses.nursingnetwork.com (Iowa Nurses Association) “The Mike Anderson scholarship”
- Iowanpsociety.enpnetwork.com (Iowa Nurse Practitioner Society)
- Iowanurses.nursingnetwork.com (INF scholarship for An MSN)
- Iowacollegeaid.gov (Health Care Award Program/Iowa)
- The A.C.N.M. Foundation, Inc. Scholarships and Awards Applications
- Rural Health Funding & Opportunities: Scholarships - Rural Health Information Hub
- iherscholarship.fluidreview.com (Iowa hospital education research foundation, iherf healthcare career scholar program)
- Alice Barton Scholarship: Iowa Coalition Against DMV
- AAUW.org (American Association of University Woman) scholarships and grants
- Pdsoros.org (The Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowship for immigrants & Children of immigrants) Honoring American Immigrant Experience, A graduate school fellowship for New Americans
- Minority Nursing Scholarships
- Johnson & Johnson
- American Legion Auxiliary, Department of Iowa Scholarships