The University of Iowa James A. Clifton Center for Digestive Diseases offers you the region’s broadest range of GI specialty services. Our experts diagnose and treat liver, pancreatic, gall bladder, esophagus, stomach, small intestine, colon, and colorectal disorders.
Our digestive disease specialists include gastroenterologists, hepatologists, and surgeons with unique skills and expertise along with nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and pathologists to develop and offer advanced treatments and therapies for you.
We offer both medical and surgical options, including minimally invasive surgical procedures, to treat an array of digestive diseases and conditions.
Evaluation and services are available for:
- Acute and Chronic Liver Disease
- Advanced Nutritional Services
- Anorectal and Pelvic Floor Disorders
- Celiac Disease
- Chronic Intestinal Pseudo-Obstruction
- Colorectal Cancer
- Colorectal Surgery
- Defecation Disorders, Constipation, and Colorectal Pain
- Endoscopic Ultrasound
- Fructose Intolerance
- Gastrointestinal Surgery
- Gastrointestinal Surgery (Minimally Invasive)
- Heartburn, Reflux, and GERD
- Hepatitis C
- Hernia and Abdominal Wall Reconstruction
- Immune-Mediated Intestinal Disorders
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Neurogastrointestinal (GI Motility)
- Non-Malignant Colorectal Conditions
- Occult GI Bleeding
- Pancreatic Disorders
- Peptic Ulcers
- Swallowing and Esophageal Disorders
- Therapeutic Endoscopy - Non ERCP
- Transplant Hepatology
University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital provides expert diagnosis and care for infants, children, and adolescents with stomach, intestinal, and liver disorders.
Why Choose Us?
The James A. Clifton Center for Digestive Diseases was established in 1985 as the first multidisciplinary subspeciality unit at UI Hospitals and Clinics and one of the first nationwide. It is the state's leader in diagnosing and treating patients with complex problems of the digestive system. Ranked as a High Performing Program by, U.S. News & World Report magazine in 2014.
Academic Departments that Provide Gastroenterology Care
UI Health Care, in a partnership with ADAM Multimedia Encyclopedia, offers you these select topics on gastroenterology: