Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy
For all requests:1-800-777-8442
Pelvic floor physical therapy is provided by therapists with advanced training. Therapy can help people who are having any of the following symptoms:
- Pelvic pain
- Abdominal pain
- Pain with intercourse (also called dyspareunia)
- Urinary incontinence
- Urinary urgency and/or frequency
- Fecal incontinence
- Coccyx pain
- Pregnancy-related pain an postpartum care
- Testicular pain
What To Expect During a Visit
- Therapy sessions will take place in a private treatment room.
- Depending on the condition, a physical therapist will:
- Examine hip and abdominal strength and flexibility
- Examine pelvic floor muscle strength and tenderness. This can be done externally or with a vaginal or rectal exam.
- A home exercise program will be designed to assist patients in reaching their goals.
- The duration and frequency of appointments depends on the patient's condition, examination findings, patient's goals, and other factors.
- Appointments generally last 45 minutes.
Related Clinical Care
Our Care Team
- Rehabilitation Therapies
- Orthopedics and Rehabilitation
Not sure which Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy provider is right for you?
When you call 1-800-777-8442 we'll help you find a provider who meets your needs.
Locations and Offices
Rehabilitation Therapies Clinic
0733 John Pappajohn Pavilion (JPP)
Lower Level, Elevator I
200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242
Clinical Trials currently in progress
Related Health Topics
May 20, 2022
Kegels are pelvic floor muscle exercises. They are done to make the muscles that support the urethra, bladder, uterus, and rectum stronger. To do them...
May 12, 2020
The pelvic floor muscles are also called levator ani. They are a group of muscles shaped like a bowl deep inside the pelvis. They help people control ...