Urodynamics is a test of the lower urinary tract. It is done to find the cause of symptoms such as:
- Trouble peeing
The test uses a small catheter in the bladder and anus. It measures pressure when you fill and empty your bladder.
- No anesthesia is used.
- You cannot pass or fail the test.
- The test is simple and has few side effects. Some patients may take antibiotics to prevent infection.
- The test may take 30 to 45 minutes.
Cystoscopy is a test that uses a camera to look in the bladder. It can be done at the same visit.
Before your urodynamics test:
- Eat the way you normally do.
- Take all routine medications.
- If you take bladder medication, check with your doctor. They will tell you if you should stop taking it before the test.
- Arrive for the test with a full bladder.