- Influence virtually every organ system in the body
- They tell organs how fast or slow they should work
- They also regulate the consumption of oxygen and the production of heat
- Regulate your metabolism—how the body uses food, either using it for immediate energy or storing it for the future.
- The pituitary gland controls how well the thyroid works
The thyroid gland can develop several distinct problems:
- A nodule or growth on the thyroid
- A thyroid goiter is an enlargement of the thyroid gland
- Hyperthyroidism means there is too much thyroid hormone and speeds up the body's metabolism
- Hypothyroidism means there is too little thyroid hormone and the body's metabolism slows down
- Thyroid cancer is a fairly common cancer, with an excellent long-term survival rate
Our surgeons provide excellent, personalized care to patients with endocrine diseases. In the last five years, our surgeons performed 450 thyroid surgeries.
Not sure which Thyroid Disorders Clinic provider is right for you?
When you call 1-319-356-8133 we'll help you find a provider who meets your needs.
Related Health Topics
June 8, 2017
Most thyroid disorders occur because of a problem in the thyroid gland itself, although certain medications and diseases can also affect thyroid funct...