The endocrine system is the glands that release hormones into the circulatory system. These hormones do a lot of things like create insulin that controls sugar in the body. When these parts of the body become irregular and a tumor forms, it can be especially dangerous for it can affect the production of hormones in your body.
Some parts of the body that make up the Endocrine System:
Paired organs that are located above the kidneys, the adrenal glands are controlled by the pituitary gland
Carcinoid tumors are rare masses that most commonly originate from hormone-producing cells of the intestines and lung.
Multiple endocrine neoplasia syndomes are a group of inheritable syndromes that cause tumors in multiple endocrine organs.
Located in the middle of the abdomen, the pancreas has cells that make digestive enzymes and cells that make hormones.
The parathyroid glands are tiny glands that secrete parathyroid hormone (PTH), which controls calcium metabolism.
Located at the front of the neck, the thyroid gland controls the body's metabolism by producing and releasing thyroid hormone.
Endocrine surgery involves the evaluation and treatment of patients with diseases of the adrenal glands, endocrine pancreas, parathyroid, and thyroid. At Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center, a team of specialists who focus solely on endocrine cases meet regularly to discuss the best course of treatment for each patient. Not all patients that end up getting endocrine surgery have cancer.
Minimally Invasive Surgery
This is a surgery using techniques to make as small an incision as possible. The advantage of minimally invasive surgery is that it can often reduce recovery time.
Our surgeons were one of the first to use intraoperative parathyroid hormone (PTH) to monitor for minimally invasive parathyroid surgery in Iowa.
Our available minimally invasive services include:
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy
- Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy (MIP)
- Minimally invasive thyroidectomy
Why Choose Us?
- As a research hospital, we have clinical trials available for treatment of advanced endocrine cancers
- Our multidisciplinary team allows you the convenience of seeing multiple care providers in one location
- All our surgeons have advanced fellowship training and experience in treating tumors that are difficult to treat
- Highly skilled and experienced team of ultrasonographers have expertise in head and neck imaging, especially parathyroid ultrasound
- Our large and diverse team include physicians who work in the Endocrinology Clinic and Neuroendocrine Cancer Clinic such as:
- Endocrine surgeons
- Genetic counselors
- Medical oncologists
- Nuclear medicine experts
- Neuroendocrinology surgeons
- Otolaryngologist (head and neck) surgeons
- Parathyroid cryopreservation: A procedure that involves freezing some parathyroid tissue that was removed during surgery and storing it for future use
- The Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center
- The only institution in Iowa to hold the prestigious distinction of a Comprehensive Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute
- The only institution in the state to provide 4D CT scans for parathyroid localization with a comprehensive nuclear medicine program for advanced imaging using radio-active iodine with dosimetry
- Work together to ensure that you get the most comprehensive care plan to address your needs