Surgical and Neurosciences Intensive Care Unit (SNICU)
Our SNICU is the largest intensive care unit in Iowa, seeing more than 2,500 patients each year.
Using a team approach, the SNICU staff members develop a supportive atmosphere for the patient and the patient's families.
The multidisciplinary team consists of staff physicians, nurses and nursing assistants, social workers, registered dietitians, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and pharmacists.
The 34-bed unit is staffed by physicians and nurses who are skilled in the care of acutely ill surgical patients and have extensive experience in managing complex emergencies.
The SNICU Provides Care For:
- Acute neurological injuries
- Multi-system trauma
- Peri-operative complications
- Post-organ transplantation care
- Respiratory failure
Our SNICU provides a full range of intensive care services, using advanced monitoring techniques and equipment.
Monitors and Therapies Include:
- Advanced neurological monitoring
- Arterial lines
- Care for micro-vascular reconstruction
- Continuous infusion of vasoactive medications
- Intracranial pressure monitoring and CSF drainage
- Renal replacement therapies (CVVH)
- Nitric oxide
- Organ transplants
- Pain management
- Pulmonary artery catheters
- Ventilatory support