Emergency care at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital means that everything needed to combat a sudden illness or injury is available in one place that's designed, equipped and staffed to support patients of all ages and clinical conditions. Staff in our Department of Emergency Medicine are trained for all aspects of emergency treatment, including specialization in pediatric emergency care.
Emergency DepartmentThe Emergency Department at UI Hospitals and Clinics and UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital provides care for the most critically ill children and adults in a patient and family-centered atmosphere. In its present facilities, newly built in 2008, the department handles emergency cases from throughout Iowa and surrounding states. The multidisciplinary service works closely with the medical and surgical departments at UI Hospitals and Clinics and UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital to optimize the care and outcomes of patients young and old.
PediatricChildren aren’t just little grownups when it comes to emergency medical care. University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital offers eastern Iowa’s only board-certified pediatric emergency medicine specialists and the state’s only Level 1 trauma center for both children and adults. That means trained experts are on hand 24–7 to help kids with serious illnesses or injuries, backed by UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital’s more than 200 pediatric specialists in dozens of medical fields. As part of the University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital, the Pediatric Emergency Department embraces the philosophy of family-centered care. In fact, our pediatric emergency care was ranked fifth in the country by Parent’s magazine in a 2009 survey. Along with expert care, the emergency department healthcare team is committed to service and to the comfort of you and your family.
AirCareThe Department of Emergency Medicine at UI Hospitals and Clinics provides emergency medical care and transport for the critically ill and injured in central and eastern Iowa. Air Care, our helicopter ambulances, also can serve in extended areas, including western Illinois, southwest Wisconsin, southeast Minnesota and northeast Missouri.
EMSLRCOur Emergency Medical Services Learning Resources Center offers certification courses and refresher training.
Why Choose Us?
University of Iowa is the state's acknowledged leader in Emergency Care. We are home to the state's only Level I trauma designation for both adult and pediatric care. Our Emergency Department is the only emergency room in eastern Iowa to staff board-certified pediatric specialists.
- We receive more than 1,070 patients transferred by helicopter between in a typical year.
- We care for nearly 50,000 Emergency-Trauma Center visits in an average year.
- The trauma team, administered by the Department of Surgery, includes six trauma surgeons, four of whom are also critical-care specialists. In addition, multiply injured patients receive care from specialists in many areas including but not limited to orthopaedic surgery, neurosurgery, otolaryngology, ophthalmology, anesthesia, radiology and the Emergency Department.
- The Emergency Department uses Air Care, which is the only flight program in the state affiliated with an emergency medicine residency program and is the only flight program in the state supplementing their medical crew with flight physicians.
- AirCare collaborates with 100 emergency medical services, fire and law enforcement programs throughout Iowa and the region