Your charges for hospital and/or clinic services and professional fees/services from University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics will be combined into one bill. You are responsible for paying your bill in full by the designated due date on the billing statement. If you have a question about your bill or are unable to pay the balance in full, please call Patient Financial Services at the phone number on the back of your statement.
Follow this checklist to help ensure a smooth billing process.
Before Your Appointment
- Contact your insurance company to make sure you understand your benefits and your plan’s requirements.
- Confirm that University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics is a contracted provider of services for your plan.
- You can review a list of payors UI Hospitals & Clinics has a contract with.
- Because this list is not comprehensive, you may wish to call to confirm with your insurance company.
- Obtain a referral if required by your insurance company. Discuss this with your primary care physician prior to scheduling an appointment with one of our specialists.
- Know the limitations of the referral and obtain an extension or expansion of the scope of the referral if needed.
- If you are a new patient to UI Hospitals & Clinics or have experienced a change in your insurance coverage since your last visit, please contact our Registration unit within Patient Financial Services to update prior to your appointment. You may contact 1-866-309-0832. This will decrease your wait time upon arrival to your appointment.
- Bring your driver’s license or another form of identification.
- Bring your health insurance card.
- If you are a returning patient, let us know if your personal or insurance information has changed since your last visit.
- Alert the check-in staff if your visit is related to an accident, either motor vehicle accident related or liability, as this could change the responsible party information needed in order to bill appropriately.
- Be prepared to make a co-payment or deductible as needed.
After Your Visit
- Respond promptly to any requests from your insurance provider to ensure timely resolution of your charges.
- If you have an out-of-pocket balance due on a bill, please make timely payment.
- Call us if you have any questions or concerns about a bill or to make an arrangement if you cannot pay your balance in full.