- For all other requests:
Our bariatric surgery program is unique in its approach to the care of the morbidly obese patient. Our multi-disciplinary team approach helps our patients achieve lasting weight-loss that:
- Reduces life-threatening risk factors
- Improves self-esteem
- Enhances daily living
Bariatric Surgery Services
The two most-commonly performed bariatric surgeries in our program are the Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (LRYGB) and Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy (LSG).
Our patients typically achieve results that exceed the national averages. We attribute these results to:
- The surgery staff includes some of the most qualified laparoscopic bariatric surgeons in the nation
- University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics is one of the pioneering institutions to offer laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass as well as laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy
- Our program is
- MBSAQIP Accredited – Comprehensive Center
- Blue Distinction Center for Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Center of Excellence for United Health Care
Qualifications for Bariatric Surgery
The first step in finding out if you are a candidate for bariatric surgery is to complete a bariatric surgery questionnaire, and return the questionnaire for our review.
The Questionnaire Can be Obtained in One of Three Ways:
- Complete the online bariatric surgery questionnaire if you are ready to complete and submit the questionnaire online. Please note you will not be able to save any information and will need to complete and submit in one sitting.
- Download the bariatric surgery questionnaire to complete at your leisure and submit it using the contact information at the top of the form. Please note you do not need to print unless you prefer to.
- If you would prefer to have one mailed to you, that can be arranged via email or telephone. Email [email protected] and please provide your full name, mailing address, date of birth, and telephone number, or request one over the phone by calling our clinic directly at 1-319-356-4060.
Once you have returned your questionnaire online, electronically, or by mail, please allow us one week to review your information and respond. This allows time for us to carefully review your information, as we are very thorough in our screening process. If you do not hear from us after one week please contact our office to make sure we received your questionnaire.
General Requirements for Our Candidates are That They:
- Are at least 18 years of age
- Have a BMI score of 35+ and suffer from any obesity-related health issues
- Have a BMI of 40+ without obesity-related health issues
Not every obese person qualifies for bariatric surgery. Patients must have severe obesity and/or have associated medical problems and meet specific qualifications.
Bariatric Surgery Could be a Solution if You Feel Ready to Commit to the Following:
- A consistent exercise program
- Counseling and follow-up care
- Long-term dietary changes that include vitamin and mineral supplements
Contact our program by returning the completed bariatric surgery questionnaire or completing the online bariatric surgery questionnaire to see if bariatric surgery is an option for you.
Our Care Team
Support Services Specialist
- Christine Melichar
Locations and Offices
James A. Clifton Digestive Health Center
Related Health Topics
The Bariatric Surgery Support Group is a great way to share your experience and connect with others who have already started the journey.
Registration is not required; it is free and open to anyone interested in sharing their experience and/or considering bariatric surgery.
Bariatric Surgery Support Group meets on the second Monday from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
Please join us for a Zoom support group on Monday, March 20, 2023 from 6 to 7 p.m.
Deb Allan, MSN, RN, Bariatric Surgery Program Coordinator, will discuss "How to Address Stigma Faced by Patients of Size".
Meeting ID: 993 2285 0855