We Provide Health Care and Other Services to Improve Patients' Quality of Life:
- Bracing, splinting
- Exercises to prevent contractures and promote wellness
- Medical examination
- Monitoring of pulmonary functions
- Nutrition counseling
- Speech and swallowing evaluation
Other Provided Services Include:
- Alternative communication strategies and technologies
- Assistance with choosing and adapting a wheelchair and other assistive devices, and with the planning of home accommodations
- Information on funding assistance
- Counseling referrals to help the individual and family cope with ALS
New patients are first seen in University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics Neurology Clinic and then referred for specialized services at the Center for Disabilities and Development. Using a unique interdisciplinary team approach, the CDD offers the following services:
- Coordination with the UI Neurology Clinic
- Occupational therapy specific to ALS
- Physical therapy specific to ALS
- Communication aids specific to ALS
If you are interested in participating in ALS research please visit the clinical research trial.
For more information, please see our About Your Neurology Visit guide.
Our academic and departmental website houses more information about the department of Neurology, our research and educational programs, news and events, and donations.