Arthroplasty (Joint Replacement)
When joint pain from osteoarthritis or another condition keeps you from normal daily activities, arthroplasty (joint replacement surgery) can be life-changing.
Arthroplasty removes the damaged parts of your joint and replaces them with implants.
Choosing the right surgeon to perform your arthroplasty makes all the difference. University of Iowa Health Care orthopedic surgeons are experts in hip replacement, knee replacement, shoulder replacement, and other procedures.
They have advanced training and years of experience. And they offer the latest procedures, including minimally invasive surgeries for less pain and faster recovery.
If you've had a previous joint replacement that failed, we're experts in fixing those, too. Patients from all over the state come here for our expertise in revision arthroplasty.
A personalized care plan means better results
Your lifestyle, goals, and needs are unique—so we make a personalized plan for your arthroplasty.
Together, we put your plan into action well before your procedure.
For some procedures (e.g., hip replacement), you'll start a "prehab" exercise program a few weeks before surgery. This helps you get into the best possible shape for surgery and recovery.
Our surgeons use state-of-the-art planning technology to customize your surgery for better results. As leaders in the field, they've helped develop and refine many of these tools.
After your surgery, you'll go home with an individualized program of physical therapy exercises. If you need formal physical therapy, our on-site team of certified therapists will work with you one-on-one.
Same-day surgery and rapid recovery get you moving
Whenever possible, our surgeons perform arthroplasty as an outpatient procedure using short-acting anesthesia.
This type of procedure means you can go home the same day for a more comfortable recovery.
As soon as you're out of surgery, our physical therapy team will get you moving to start restoring your joint strength and mobility.
They'll teach you exercises to do at home. And, they’ll make sure you can do them confidently on your own before you're discharged.
A highly skilled team, centered on you
In addition to your orthopedic surgeons, you'll have other UI Health Care experts on your care team.
Orthopedic nurses, physical and occupational therapists, and pain management physicians work together to make sure your prep, surgery, and recovery go smoothly.
Helping you become eligible for surgery
If you're a smoker, overweight, or have diabetes that isn't well controlled, you may need extra time to become eligible for arthroplasty.
The comprehensive care available from UI Health Care experts can help you reach the goals you and your surgeon set.
If you’ve been told elsewhere that you weigh too much to have a successful joint replacement, UI Health Care’s unique bariatric hip and knee reconstruction program can help. Our state-of-the-art body composition analysis technology enables your care team to partner with you on a plan to prepare you for hip or knee replacement.
Our team approach will help prepare you for a successful procedure.
Our Care Team
Our coffee talks are designed for our first-time joint replacement patients and their coaches. Led by our experienced joint replacement nurse clinicians, this online discussion offers a casual way to get answers to questions as you prepare for your upcoming surgery from the comfort of your own home.
How to Get Ready for the Coffee Talk
- Review the Hip Replacement or Knee Replacement book prior to the discussion.
- Write down any general questions you want to ask.
- Tip: Answers to common questions can be found in our frequently asked questions document. Our nurse clinicians can expand on these or any additional general questions that may be top of mind.
- Note: Your privacy is important to us. As this is a group discussion, questions related to your specific health condition, medications, or personal questions about your home or support system will not be covered.
- Silence your phone, alarms, or any other distractions.
- You can choose any device to join the class: mobile phone, iPad, desktop, laptop, etc.
- Download the Zoom app on your device by going to https://zoom.us/ on your desktop or from your app store.
- You can join the meeting by calling in from your phone as well. Please follow directions provided by the nurse clinician team via myChart on how to call into the meeting
How to join the Coffee Talk
- Click on the link in the myChart message sent to you by our nurse clinicians a few minutes before the discussion starts
- Sign into the meeting with your first or last name only to protect your confidentiality.
- Make sure you are on mute after logging into the class and wait for the instructor.
- Please remain muted until the instructor asks for questions. Questions can be entered into the chat or can be voiced out loud.