Evaluation of the person providing sperm
To optimize your outcome, the care team needs to find and, when possible, treat semen and sperm factors that may lower fertility potential. The andrology lab and a male infertility specialist in the Department of Urology assess male infertility.
Tests needed for the partner providing sperm are:
- At least 1 semen fluid analysis (SFA)
- Sperm morphology evaluation
- Sperm freezing (cryopreservation)
- This is not needed for most people. However, it must be done for male factor infertility and enrollment in the IOWArranty program.
The SFA and morphology may be done at the North Dodge Andrology Lab or a local lab approved by UI Health Care Andrology Lab. If done at your local lab, a slide must be made for sperm morphology and sent to the UI Health Care lab.
Semen cryopreservation must be done at the North Dodge Andrology Lab. STI test results must be reviewed by IVF clinic staff before semen cryopreservation. STI testing can be done on the day of your 1st appointment. These results will be back in a few hours. Then semen cryopreservation can be done the same day.
An appointment in the UI Health Care Andrology Lab will be scheduled during your 1st appointment in the IVF clinic unless you tell the care team otherwise or if you are being seen at the Quad City or Jordan Creek clinics. You will be scheduled for SFA, sperm morphology evaluation, and semen cryopreservation, if needed. Before the appointment you must:
- Maximize the number and quality of sperm. Do not ejaculate for 2 to 7 days before any semen collection. Do not go longer than 7 days, this may lead to a higher number of dead sperm in the semen. This lessens the quality of the sample.
- Show a photo ID card when you check in at the andrology lab.
The IVF team may refer the partner to be seen by a male infertility specialist in the Department of Urology if any of the tests are not normal. Diagnosis and treatment of the factor(s) causing the reduced sperm quantity and quality may make your chance of conception better.
SFA appointments can be scheduled with the Andrology Lab by calling 1-319-467-5299.