Gynecology deals with the health of the female reproductive system including the uterus, ovaries, and vagina. We focus on preventive care and regular screenings to keep you healthy. We also take time to talk with you about your health, concerns, and goals.
Well-woman care should be a regular part of your health care routine and for most women that means a once-a-year visit for a general health check. Even if you look and feel healthy, getting your annual well-woman exam is important to your health. Well-woman care is provided by our OB/GYN and family medicine physicians as well as certified nurse-midwives and nurse practitioners. Our well-woman health care providers will refer you to appropriate specialists if necessary.
The well-woman exam could include:
- Bone density test
- Breast exam
- Discussion of the latest options for family planning
- Health maintenance education
- Pap smear
- Review of your medical history
When should you see your well-woman care provider?
- If you are sexually active or over the age of 18
- If you detect a lump or other unusual change in your breast
- If you have a history of female health problems
- If you have a mother or sister who developed breast, ovarian, or uterine cancer
- If you have symptoms of a sexually transmitted infection
- If you plan to become pregnant soon
Results of your well-woman care can sometimes lead to the need for more specific care. Test results, symptoms you're having, and findings from your health history can indicate a problem that requires a closer look. Our women's specialists have the expertise to address these concerns and treat them if necessary.
These conditions can include:
- Colposcopy (Follow-up for Abnormal Pap Tests)
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
- Vulvar Vaginal Diseases
Our midwives provide gynecology services at UI Hospitals and Clinics - Iowa River Landing. We offer selected women's health services at UI Hospitals and Clinics - Iowa River Landing. Located at the Coralville interchange on Interstate 80 (exit 242), UI Hospitals and Clinics - Iowa River Landing offers patients easy access, free parking, several amenities, and a state-of-the-art building for delivering outstanding patient care.