Care Coordination Division Transportation Assistance and Resources
Social workers may be able to help patients who have minimal resources to connect with possible transportation options within their community. Although Social Service staff will strive to assist you to locate local resources in your area, there may not be transportation options available from all locations throughout the state of Iowa and western Illinois. Please make sure to begin planning for your transportation to your appointments at University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics early so you have enough time to locate transportation from family/friends if there are no other transportation options available in your area to UI Hospitals & Clinics.
If you can't travel by car, medical transport options may be available. These medical transport options are not always covered by your insurance. Please check with your insurance to verify coverage for non-emergency transportation coverage.
Iowa Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT)
Some Medicaid patients have access to TMS, a non-emergency medical transportation service. Once you have provided all the necessary information, a TMS operator will explain how your trip request will be met. Mileage, lodging, and meal reimbursement for expenses related to medical care may be available through TMS.
- To determine if you qualify for this program, please call 1-866-572-7662 (You must have your Medicaid number available when you make this call).
- Visit the NEMT website for all necessary forms and current reimbursement rates.
Iowa Department of Transportation
The Iowa Department of Transportation offers 35 regional public transit options throughout the state.
- Visit the Iowa Department of Transportation website for more information.
Road to Recovery
The American Cancer Society’s Road to Recovery program provides transportation to and from treatment for people who have cancer who do not have a ride or are unable to drive themselves. Volunteer drivers donate their time and the use of their cars so patients can receive the life-saving treatments they need.
Bus Lines to Iowa City
Major bus lines offer transportation to Iowa City. Visit their websites to view bus locations, schedules and to purchase your tickets.
River Bend Transit
- Call 1-563-386-1350, 1-800-292-8959, or check out River Bend Transit
- 60 or over, disabled, or veteran is $10 one-way, $20 round trip
- General public is $12 one-way, $24 round trip
- Children 5-years-old and under ride free
- Tuesday: 8 a.m. Davenport departure and 4 p.m. Iowa City departure
- Wednesday thru Friday: 6:30 a.m. Davenport departure and 4 p.m. Iowa City departure
- Destinations include IRL clinics, UI Hospitals & Clinics, UI Dental Clinic, and VA Hospital
Additional options may be available through local community organizations such as church or volunteer programs. Also check with your local General Assistance program. Their information will be available in your local phonebook.