Designations and Distinctions for UI Hospitals & Clinics
Comprehensive Care for Our Community and Beyond
Our primary and specialty care is provided by experts from all medical specialties, attracting patients from around the world. We offer our care in convenient, comfortable settings, using the most advanced approaches and with the best outcomes as our goal.
Iowa’s No. 1 Hospital
UI Hospitals & Clinics is consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as the state’s top hospital and one of the nation’s best hospitals, with several of its clinical specialties ranked among the top 50 in the country. UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital is Iowa’s only nationally ranked children’s hospital.
Magnet Recognition for Excellence in Nursing
UI Hospitals & Clinics was the first hospital in Iowa to be designated a Magnet Hospital (2004) by the American Nurses Credentialing Center and the first in Iowa to be re-designated three times (2008, 2013, and 2018).
A ‘Most Wired’ Hospital
UI Hospitals & Clinics has been named one of the nation’s “most wired” hospitals by the College of Healthcare Information Management Executives each year since 2010 for its use of health care technology.
Trauma Center Certification
The American College of Surgeons has certified UI Hospitals & Clinics as a Level 1 trauma center for adult and pediatric patients—the highest level available.
Wellmark Blue Distinction Center
UI Hospitals & Clinics is designated as a Wellmark Blue Distinction Center in the following areas:
- Bariatric surgery
- Cardiac care
- Knee and hip
- Adult allogenic bone marrow/stem cell transplant
- Adult autologous bone marrow/stem cell transplant
- Adult combination kidney-liver transplant
- Adult heart transplant
- Adult liver transplant
- Adult lung transplant
- Adult pancreas transplant
- Adult simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplant
Joint Commission Distinction
UI Hospitals & Clinics has been recognized by The Joint Commission in the following areas:
- Joint Commission certification
- Cardiac valve repair and replacement
- Aortic aneurysm
- Joint Commission advanced certification
- Advanced comprehensive stroke center
- Ventricular assist device
- Advanced palliative care
- Joint Commission Gold Seal of Approval
- Primary stroke center
- Adult supportive and palliative care
- Pediatric pain and palliative care
‘Best Employer’ For Women
Forbes ranks UI Hospitals & Clinics No. 44 (No. 9 in its Healthcare & Social category) in its 2021 survey of America’s Best Employers for Women.